Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sudoku for Kids

My 6-year old daughter can do a Sudoku puzzle! I was so proud. Okay, it was one with shapes and not numbers. Okay, it was only a 4x4. But she did it!

Anyway while she was working on it she asked if I was just preparing her for something they would learn in school. But this is actually more than school. I told her it is a brain exercise. Just like we must exercise to keep our body in shape, we also must exercise to keep our brains in shape. Toddlers will be working out their brains with floor puzzles. School-aged children can start working on easy Sudoku puzzles and crossword puzzles, even riddles. Just do an internet search for 'sudoku for kids' and you will find some for all levels. Puzzle on!

3 comments:

  1. I came across your post while trying to find out when kids usually begin to be able to finish a sudoku. My four year old just did a 6x6 sudoko by himself, and I am not sure whether I should encourage him to do more, or try for him to focus his attention on something different.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to wait until school age to start to push children to challenge themselves. This is when I want them to start and finish something no matter how long it takes. Before age 6 or 7, I let the child tell me what they would like to pursue. If your son wants to do more, let him. If he doesn't, I wouldn't push him.

    Stop by soon! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete